A high level view and getting set up.
Here, the Object Relational Mapper is introduced and fully described. If you want to work with higher-level SQL which is constructed automatically for you, as well as automated persistence of Python objects, proceed first to the tutorial.
- Read this first: Object Relational Tutorial
- ORM Configuration: Mapper Configuration | Relationship Configuration
- Configuration Extensions: Declarative Extension | Association Proxy | Hybrid Attributes | Automap | Mutable Scalars
- ORM Usage: Session Usage and Guidelines | Loading Objects | Cached Query Extension
- Extending the ORM: ORM Events and Internals
- Other: Introduction to Examples
The breadth of SQLAlchemy’s SQL rendering engine, DBAPI integration, transaction integration, and schema description services are documented here. In contrast to the ORM’s domain-centric mode of usage, the SQL Expression Language provides a schema-centric usage paradigm.
- Read this first: SQL Expression Language Tutorial
- All the Built In SQL: SQL Expression API
- Engines, Connections, Pools: Engine Configuration | Connections, Transactions | Connection Pooling
- Schema Definition: Overview | Tables and Columns | Database Introspection (Reflection) | Insert/Update Defaults | Constraints and Indexes | Using Data Definition Language (DDL)
- Datatypes: Overview | Building Custom Types | API
- Core Basics: Overview | Runtime Inspection API | Event System | Core Event Interfaces | Creating Custom SQL Constructs |